When planning a change in your dog's diet it's a good idea to do it gradually. Even when switching from one brand to another using approximately the same formulation i.e. lamb & rice to lamb & rice.
- You can start with a quarter of a cup of the new food added to the existing diet. Depending on how much you feed, size of the pooch and the delicacy of his/her gut. Go with this ratio for several days ....4-7 days.
- Then add more of the new food perhaps another one quarter so that you are now feeding half and half.
- In several more days you can increase the ratio again to three quarters of the new food.
- If you find that the dog is having digestive upset drop back to a lower ratio of new to old food.
- When all seems to be right with your pal make the complete change-over to the new food.
- What you're doing is balancing the flora in your dog's gut.
does not mean a thing...only how good the designers are! If you see chicken-by-products or beef-by -products or any other by-products reject the food. By products can be feathers, hooves,etc. Corn is another ingredient that's not wonderful.
It takes more time but your dog will be a healthier happier one and so will you!
Author: Virginia Dunlap